One key element of any marketing automation soution is a solid customer relationship management (CRM) system. Having implemented Salesforce.com and Netsuite at 3 companies, I understand the pain of implementing a CRM into an organization.
Patrick Cahill’s makes some great points in his article From Poor To Perfect: 6 Steps For Launching A New CRM Application. Here is brief summary of his tips…
- Meet with management and users – Get buy in from Sales, Marketing, etc. on how they will use the CRM.
- Map out the process – Look at what happens to a prospect from the first moment they get on the radar to when they sign the deal.
- Clean your data – Don’t upload bad data into the system.
- Setup your new application – Follow the maps you’ve setup around your process, logic and workflows.
- Import your data
- Train your users – Don’t expect users to use the CRM. Provide documentation and a help line to help them figure it out (correctly).